WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Hudson Valley Restaurant Week (HVRW) starts Monday, Nov. 2 (and goes through Sunday, Nov. l5) and while food usually takes center stage, there are also a host of cocktails that deserve your attention.
The following is a sampling (with recipes!) of specially crafted libations masterfully mixed by bartenders during HVRW. Many are made with spirits from local distilleries such as Tuthilltown Spirits, Black Dirt Distillery, Warwick Valley Winery and Distillery, and Hillrock Estate Distillery.
The Maple Leaf, Cedar Street Grill , Dobbs Ferry
- 2 oz Black Dirt Distillery Bourbon
- 1 & 1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Crown Maple Dark Amber Syrup or Crown Maple Bourbon Barrel Syrup
- 1 large sprig of Rosemary (Plus 1 sprig for garnish)
- 1 slice of Lemon
- Splash Lemon Lime Soda
Crush the large sprig of rosemary in your hand and add to shaker.
Add the bourbon, lemon juice, maple syrup, and ice. Shake for 15 seconds.
Strain into a highball or cocktail glass filled with fresh ice. Splash with lemon lime soda. Garnish with rosemary sprig and slice of lemon.
Classic Manhattan, Ralph & Dave’s, Verplank
- 3oz Hillrock Distillery Bourbon or Rye if you prefer
- 1oz Antica Formula Sweet Vermouth
- I drop Bitters
- 1 Luxardo Maraschino Cherry and a few drops of the syrup
- Chilled Cocktail Glass
In an ice filled shaker add, bourbon/rye, vermouth and bitters. Shake well until frost forms on the outside of the shaker; add cherry and syrup to cocktail glass.
Strain contents of the shaker into glass and garnish with orange twist.
Old New York, Restaurant North, Armonk
- 1 ½ oz Black Dirt Distillery Bourbon
- 1 oz Bitterman’s Grapefruit Bitter Liqueur
- 1 oz homemade grenadine
- Orange twist
In a mixing glass filled with ice, combine the bourbon, bitters and grenadine. Stir and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with orange twist.
Apple Royal, Iron Horse, Pleasantville
- 1 oz Harvest Spirits Core Apple Brandy
- 4 oz apple cider (recommended: Thompson Cider Mill) or cold apple juice
- 1 oz sparkling wine (or cold champagne)
In cold martini glass, add two drop bitters, swirl it about; then add cinnamon stick and serve.
Go to www.hudsonvalleyrestaurantweek.com/ for more information on offerings where select restaurants offer three-course lunches ($20.95) and dinner menus ($29.95).
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.