FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- DV Home Cooking is devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cooks : Maddy Kirshoff and Paul Wheatley , Norwalk, Conn.
NYC Street Cart Lamb Over Rice
"Moving to Connecticut from New York City left us missing a few things. One on the list is the halal street carts. Being able to walk to one at almost any hour of the day or night and grab a styrofoam container filled with hot lamb, soft rice, and a crispy salad is definitely one of the many pleasures you don't easily find in Norwalk. So, we decided to learn how to make this tasty meal ourselves. We found the recipe on a blog -- go HERE to see -- and then modified it, adding more meat and putting in the salad. You can sub out using any kind of meat you want."
For the Lamb:
- 17.6 oz (500 grams) of ground lamb
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp,salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Mix everything together and let sit in a bowl in the fridge for at least an hour.
For the white sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup (345 grams) plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp (19 grams) dark-toasted tahini, or 2 tbsp (38 grams) light-toasted tahini
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk everything together and let sit in its bowl the fridge for at least an hour.
- Cook yellow, Spanish rice using a rice cooker or the old fashioned way- a pot and some water; two to one rice to water.
To make the salad:
We shredded some lettuce and cut up some tomatoes and red onion.
To cook the lamb:
- Make a large patty with the meat and brown on both sides. Once cooked, break apart into smaller pieces.
- We caramelized some yellow onion as well because it adds a really delightful taste, just like Rakifi's does.
- Take your plate or your styrofoam container; on half of the plate, scoop some rice. And the other half, throw some salad. Top the salad with tomatoes and onion.
- Top your rice with lamb. Add caramelized onion and corn. Top off entire dish with white sauce. Voila! Not as easy as walking up to a cart, but definitely more fun!
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.