DV Home Cooking is a series devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook: Virginia Vaccaro, Mahopac, N.Y.
"Growing up in a family of six, (four girls} was so much fun and to this day my sisters and I are best friends.
It was a rarity to find store bought desserts in our home, but this delicious rice custard pudding was something my mom frequently made as a treat!"
Recipe: Rice Custard Pudding
- 6 to 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk( I use 2 cups of milk and one of half and half)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar ( less if desired)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Break eggs into a 2 quart buttered casserole. Beat slightly with a fork.
- Add milk, half-and-half ,sugar vanilla and salt.
- Blend well.
- Stir in rice and raisins.
- Set casserole in a hot pan of water.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for one hour to one hour and 15 minutes stirring once after the first half hour of baking.
- Check in center with a butter knife after one hour. If it comes out mostly clean if is done.
- Cool for at least one hour before refrigerating. Put a piece of saran wrap directly on putting to prevent a skin from forming.
- Bon appétit!