NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- DV Home Cooking is a new series devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook : Linda Celeste Sims, New Rochelle, N.Y.
"As Alvin Ailey dancers, my husband, Glenn, and I are constantly traveling all over the world and representing America as cultural ambassadors. When in Germany, we love to hit the grocery stores. Why, you ask? Because they have the best rotisserie chicken called "Hähnchen" which is delicious seasoned with paprika, salt, and pepper. All you need to add is a side salad and a bit of fresh lime juice.
When I’m home in New Rochelle, I recreate this dish with a twist. Since I love cooking with garlic and onions, I've added it to the chicken alongside cumin, coriander, and oregano.
Dancers are always looking to eat healthy but we don’t want to sacrifice flavor. I love watching my husband eat my chicken, it brings me joy knowing I'm making someone’s soul happy."
Recipe : Linda's German Spanish Style Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs bone in skin on
- 8 garlic cloves blended in food processor with 3 tbls of olive oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. coriander
- 2 Tbsp. oregano
- 3 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. pepper
- Fresh sliced limes or lemon to squeeze on top once ready to serve.
- Combine all the seasonings with olive oil and vinegar on top of chicken.
- Use hands to incorporate all the goodness in the chicken.
- Let it sit overnight in a bag to allow chicken to soak up the flavors.
- Then when ready to cook, remove chicken from the fridge for at least 30 minutes to bring to room temperature.
- In a Dutch pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil at medium heat
- Place the all chicken skin down first (be careful the wet marinade may sizzle).
- Then pour the rest of marinade on top.
- Cover chicken for the first 15 minutes.
- Then uncover, turning chicken every 10 minutes until nice and browned.
- It should take about 45 minutes to cook fully and sauce will reduce.
- Serve with fresh lime or lemon. Adding a salad is optional.
Fans of the dance world can catch Linda and Glenn in action at Lincoln Center anytime before June 19.