RYE, N.Y. -- DV Home Cooking is a new series devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook : Wendy Baruchowitz, Rye, N.Y.
"Up until four years ago, I would rather order out then be in the kitchen. That all changed when, due to a serious health condition known as POTS or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, I was forced to abandon my fast food and junk food diet and embrace one that is mainly organic, dairy and gluten free.
"I soon began to love to cook and to create recipes where I swap out dairy, gluten and processed sugar for ingredients I can tolerate and my kids love. This recipe is one I often prepare for my husband, kids and myself whenever that sweet tooth calls."
Recipe: Cacao Super Food Muffins
- 2 Ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 Cups of applesauce
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of cacao powder (or dark cocoa), hemp, flax and chia seeds
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 to 1 Cup of cacao nibs, dark chocolate chips, dried fruit or nut of your choice
- 1-2 Tbsp sunflower nut butter (or any nut butter of your choice (almond, hazelnut, pecan, etc.)
- 1 Cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp Coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup Gluten free flour (or whole wheat if you prefer)
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 Tbsp Agave nectar or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl mash bananas. Add applesauce and eggs. Stir until well combined.
- Add remainder of ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a pre-greased mini muffin tin (or silicone muffin holder), approximately 1/4 filled.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked (ovens vary depending on temperature so please check as cooking continues to avoid burning.)