MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently named Mamaroneck as the best place to live in New York.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities.
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student-to-teacher ratio).
- Total crimes.
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax).
- Commute time.
- Weather (temperature and air quality).
Mamaroneck ranked in the top five of two categories: Quality of life (fifth); and unemployment (fourth). The town of nearly 19,000 also excelled in tax rate, ranking seventh, and ranked 13th in crime and weather.
Commute time was the weak point for Mamaroneck. The town ranked 61st out of 87 municipalities.
Mamaroneck's overall score of 20.71 allowed it to edge out Tarrytown and White Plains, which posted scores of 21.57 and 21.86, respectively.
Overall, Westchester County communities dominated the top 10, taking ten spots. Mount Kisco, Scarsdale, Harrison, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Rye and New Rochelle (tied for 10th with Saratoga Springs) all made the top 10.
Port Chester, Peekskill and Yonkers all sat outside the top 10 ranking 12th through 14th, respectively.
- 1 Mamaroneck's Skinny House Nominated As Historic Place
- 2 Snow Could Be Returning To Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 3 Manhattan Building Collapses After Apparent Gas Explosion
- 4 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 5 Mamaroneck Puzzle Solver Readies For 38th Crossword Competition