YONKERS, N.Y. -- There's no better time to experience the beauty of the Hudson Valley than the fall.
And there's no better place to end a visit to the apple orchards, foliage along the palisades, or pumpkin hunting than with dinner at my Rockland County Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar.
Whether you join us for a quick bite and a seasonal cocktail in our bar and lounge in front of the fire or have a relaxing dinner in one of our lovely dining rooms, fall will be on display.
As the season changes from summer to fall our menus reflect this with the arrival of game birds and slow braises. Short Ribs slowly cooked in a combination of wine, beer and root vegetables, all sourced from the Hudson Valley or locally raised quail marinated with fresh rosemary and garlic confit served over a risotto with mostarda made with Rockland’s Doc Davies apples are entrees you can expect to see.
Our desserts this time of year feature pumpkins, caramel, pears, apples and lots of chocolate. So whatever you choose, you should relax in knowing the pleasures of being pampered close to home at a Hudson Valley hospitality landmark since the 1950’s is close at hand and ready to serve you.
Should you want to try putting the best of fall on your table at home, I offer my recipe for quail (you can substitute with boneless chicken breasts).
Griddled Hudson Valley Quail ( courtesy of Peter X. Kelly, Xaviars Restaurants)
- 8 Boneless quail
- 6 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tblsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 Sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 Sprig fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Season quail with salt and freshly ground black pepper.• Using a sharp knife, pierce a hole along the lower left leg of each quail. Pull the right leg through this slit to cross the legs of each quail• Combine quail with all marinade ingredients and place in a sealable plastic bag.• Allow quail to marinate 12 – 48 hours.• Heat griddle or griddle pan and cook quail 3 minutes on breast side.• Turn quail and cook 2 minutes more.• Serve quail with risotto and garnish with apple.
This column is a continuing series by Chef Peter X. Kelly of Xaviars Restaurant Group which runs every Thursday.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.