MAMARONECK, N.Y. - Thirteen-year-old Carly Rose Sonenclar of Mamaroneck was labeled a star in the making by one judge Wednesday night after her performance on "X Factor."
Sonenclar sang a stripped-down version of "It Will Rain" by Bruno Mars. Judges L.A. Reid, Demi Lovato and Britney Spears all gushed over her rendition but Simon Cowell made a call that could propel her to the top.
"You've got real guts for someone your age," Cowell said. "I've got a feeling with you, Carly. We're watching a star in the making."
Cowell and Lovato agreed that Wednesday's performance was better than last week's.
"I think that seeing you this week compared to last week, it's night and day," Lovato said.
In a clip leading into her performance, Sonenclar said that she started singing at the age of two. She also introduced her brother, Russell, a sophomore at the University of Delaware and a Rye Neck High School graduate.
After last week's performance received lukewarm reviews, Sonenclar ditched the backup dancers and flashing lights.
"It just wasn't me," she said, favoring the focus on vocals instead of production.
And judges noticed.
"That was really heartfelt," Reid said. "It was honest. I loved it."
Sonenclar's "X Factor" mentor Britney Spears also laid on the praise. "I feel like you should have closed the show," Spears said. "Because nobody can follow that."
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads To Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Blizzard Warning As 18-24 Inches Of Snow Possible In Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 3 Controlling Deer Population In Mamaroneck Is Targeted
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow