MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Larchmont’s Ang Lee!
Ang Lee, who lives in Larchmount turns 59 on Wednesday.
Lee, born Oct. 23, 1954, in Chaochou, Pingtung, Taiwan, is an Academy Award winning Taiwanese-born American film director, screenwriter and producer.
During graduate school, Lee finished a 16mm short film, Shades of the Lake (1982), which won the Best Drama Award in Short Film in Taiwan. His own thesis work, a 43-minute drama, Fine Line (1984), won NYU's Wasserman Award for Outstanding Direction and was later selected for the Public Broadcasting Service.
Lee has won the Academy Award for Best Director twice, first for Brokeback Mountain (2005) and most recently for Life of Pi (2012). He also won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000). He is the first person of Asian descent to win an Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA for Best Director, and the only director to win two Best Film Awards (Golden Bear) at the Berlin International Film Festival.
- 1 Mamaroneck Celebrates July 4 With Picnics, Pyrotechnics
- 2 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 3 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events In Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 4 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 5 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Is Reported Off Long Island