MAMARONECK, N.Y. – America has spoken: Carly Rose Sonenclar, the 13-year-old "X Factor" contestant from Mamaroneck, was voted into the No. 1 spot by viewers Thursday night after two straight weeks at No. 2.
Judges were blown away by her performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on Wednesday night — and so was the crowd. "X Factor" judge L.A. Reid could barely speak over the audience cheering after her rendition ended on two powerful notes.
Reid commended Sonenclar for her talent, calling her "an absolute force of nature." Fellow judge Simon Cowell said it was one of the best versions of the song he had ever heard.
Even Kim Kardashian, sister of "X Factor" co-host Khloe, weighed in on Twitter: "Wow, all I have to say is ... Carly Rose. She sang the best version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow!"
Sonenclar is part of the teens group, which was cut in half after Thursday's eliminations. Arin Ray received the least votes this week, and Beatrice Miller was voted off by three of the four judges.
The remaining contestants, in reverse order of standing, are: CeCe Frey, Fifth Harmony, Paige Thomas, Diamond White, Emblem3, Vino Alan and Tate Stevens.
Sonenclar and the other top contenders might want to savor this week: Cowell has said in an interview that the show may not continue to reveal each act's ranking.
"X Factor" returns Wednesday at 8 p.m. on Fox.
- 1 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 2 Hundreds Pay Respects To Slain Sisters During Calling Hours In Mamaroneck
- 3 State Police Warn Larchmont, Mamaroneck Residents Of Phone Scam
- 4 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 5 Larchmont, Mamaroneck Will See Widespread Snow Into Monday