MAMARONECK, N.Y. – America has spoken: Carly Rose Sonenclar, the 13-year-old "X Factor" contestant from Mamaroneck, was voted into the No. 1 spot by viewers Thursday night after two straight weeks at No. 2.
Judges were blown away by her performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on Wednesday night — and so was the crowd. "X Factor" judge L.A. Reid could barely speak over the audience cheering after her rendition ended on two powerful notes.
Reid commended Sonenclar for her talent, calling her "an absolute force of nature." Fellow judge Simon Cowell said it was one of the best versions of the song he had ever heard.
Even Kim Kardashian, sister of "X Factor" co-host Khloe, weighed in on Twitter: "Wow, all I have to say is ... Carly Rose. She sang the best version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow!"
Sonenclar is part of the teens group, which was cut in half after Thursday's eliminations. Arin Ray received the least votes this week, and Beatrice Miller was voted off by three of the four judges.
The remaining contestants, in reverse order of standing, are: CeCe Frey, Fifth Harmony, Paige Thomas, Diamond White, Emblem3, Vino Alan and Tate Stevens.
Sonenclar and the other top contenders might want to savor this week: Cowell has said in an interview that the show may not continue to reveal each act's ranking.
"X Factor" returns Wednesday at 8 p.m. on Fox.
- 1 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 2 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 3 Mamaroneck Firefighters Investigate Tompkins Avenue Kitchen Fire
- 4 Mamaroneck Installing New Sidewalks, Regardless Of Shivery Weather
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In Mamaroneck, Larchmont