MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- Con Edison crews are checking for any other gas leaks outside the Mamaroneck High School Monday, following a leak Friday that forced an evacuation of the building .
The source of Friday's gas leak was identified and repaired and school is open again. While Con Edison conducts its precautionary inspection of the immediate area, the middle lane of Boston Post Road directly in front of the high school is blocked.
"Our crews are just checking for any additional leaks," said Bob McGee, spokesperson for Con Edison. "They're just doing some due diligence out there."
The school's administration reported a minor gas leak last Thursday in a two-inch pipe 19-feet away from the building, near the administrative offices. Friday morning, Con Edison put the building on bottled gas temporarily so the school's plumber could repair the leak. But, while the plumber began to make repairs, a Con Edison mechanic supervising the work smelled gas and picked up readings of gas inside the school. At 11:35 a.m. he began evacuating the building. Soon after, students were dismissed early and sent home.
Readings were lower when Con Edison turned off the private-property gas valve on the pipe, which provides gas for the science wing and cafeteria. The evacuation ended Friday at 2:10 p.m. But the school canceled all evening and weekend activities and delayed mid-terms one day.
Students who left books and belongings at school Friday were able to retrieve them Sunday between 10 a.m. and noon.
"There were many students eager to come back and get their belongings," said Debbie Manetta, spokesperson for the Mamaroneck School District.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.