MAMARONECK, N.Y. - Barbara Mendolia tried to put out the fire that she said started in her kitchen Tuesday morning, but it raged on, searing the windows of her second-floor apartment above Nan's Gift and Party Shoppe.
Village of Mamaroneck Fire Department chief Chris Szymanowski said around 10:30 a.m. that the fire was contained to the second floor and no one was hurt.
The Village and Town of Mamaroneck Fire Departments responded to a 911 call received around 9 a.m. from Dhiren Icenia, the owner Nan's Gift and Party Shoppe, located at 231 Mamaroneck Ave. Icenia said he didn't smell smoke, but someone told him there was a fire upstairs.
Village of Mamaroneck police saw the fire from Mamaroneck Avenue and were the first to enter the building, said Robert Pecchia, assistant chief for the Village of Mamaroneck Fire Department. As Pecchia attempted to enter the building, the smoke ignited into fire due to the heat, forcing him and the police officers to exit the building.
The Village and Town of Mamaroneck Fire Departments closed off Mamaroneck Avenue between Palmer Avenue and Prospect Avenue and hosed down the enitre three-floor building. Szymanowski said there was some smoke damage to the other floors. Additionally, they rescued a tenant from the third floor by ladder.
Mendolia watched from outside as firemen overhauled the entire second floor to search for the source of the fire, which has yet to be determined. The five-year Mamaroneck resident, who has lived in the apartment for two years, said she was fine, but that her cat, dog, rabbit and three birds all died.
As two of the fire engines prepared to leave, Mendolia waited for family members from Long Island to pick her up.
Did you see the flames coming out of Mendolia's building Tuesday morning?
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.