Settings

Home Site
Notification
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Mamaroneck Daily Voice serves Larchmont & Mamaroneck

Menu

Mamaroneck Daily Voice serves Larchmont & Mamaroneck
Breaking News: Heavy Rain, Storms Could Cause Flooding In Westchester
news

Harbor Island Summer Camp Fees Increase Nearly $100

MAMARONECK, N.Y. – Parents like Ellen McTyre will be paying approximately $100 more for Day Camp at Harbor Island this summer due to the program's explosion in popularity and the increased cost to run it, said Dan Sarnoff, assistant village manager for the Village of Mamaroneck.

The Village of Mamaroneck Board of Trustees narrowly passed the resolution hiking fees 15.5 percent for Harbor Island Day Camp in a 3-2 vote at its regular meeting Monday night. The resolution stipulates that the camp fees pay for 84 percent of the costs, and the village subsidizes the remaining 16 percent.

In order to achieve that goal, discussed by the board at its Jan. 3 work session, the 15.55 percent increase was necessary, based on projections of anticipated registrations. The last two years, Sarnoff said, have seen a roughly 25 percent increase in registrations each year and a general upswing over the last decade.

Fees for early registration would increase from $652 to $753 for kindergarteners, $728 to $841 for first through sixth graders, $810 to $936 for seventh through ninth graders and $112 to $129 for early drop-off.

Regular registration fees would increase from $744 to $859 for kindergarteners, $820 to $947 for first through sixth graders, $902 to $1,042 for seventh through ninth graders and $143 to $165 for early drop-off. The multiple child discount would also increase from $26 to $30.

"Our rates are competitive with what you see from municipal day camps in this county," Sarnoff said. "A private camp would be in the order of $4,000 to $5,000 a summer for each student. The municipal day camps across the county are tremendous values for residents."

During the vote, Trustee Louis Santoro questioned how the Town of Mamaroneck's summer camp, run out of the Hommocks, charged, he said, approximately half of what the village proposed to charge and still had more kids.

"The camp is run out of the Hommocks, so they have a pool and a larger recreation area to have all the programs they have," said Richard Slingerland, village manager, who explained the village has to subsidize the cost of bussing kids to local pools and other field trips.

For McTyre's children, those trips are what makes the Harbor Island Day Camp attractive, and she is willing to fork over the extra money for her son Peter, who she plans to register this year. "I think the Harbor Island Day Camp is much more interesting in terms of the activities and field trips," she said. "He's really engaged there."

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Mamaroneck Daily Voice!

Serves Larchmont & Mamaroneck

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.