LARCHMONT, N.Y. -- A transformer fire on Alden Road on Thursday morning has caused power outages in the surrounding area and Boston Post Road to be closed to traffic between Weaver Street and Chatsworth Avenue.
In a message to residents, Mamaroneck Town Administrator Steve Altieri said that there has been serious damage to electric wires and poles due to fallen trees and asked everyone to please avoid the area.
"As a result of the damage Con Edison will be shutting down electric power along the Boston Post Road between Chatsworth Avenue and Richbell Road," Altieri said. "Homes in the area of Alden Road, Howell Park and the apartments may also lose power as well."
At approximately 2 p.m. on Thursday, repair crews were at the scene beginning to work on the power lines, and police were present, closing the road to pedestrian traffic as well.
The damage caused a small electrical fire and a power outage at the nearby Mamaroneck Central, and students were dismissed at 11 a.m. There was a partial power loss at the Hommocks School, but the day proceeded as normal with the help of a generator.
Altieri said it is unclear at this time how long traffic and power disruptions would last. In the case of loss of power, notify Con Edison at 1800-75ConEd.
- 1 Hundreds Pay Respects To Slain Sisters During Calling Hours In Mamaroneck
- 2 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 3 Larchmont, Mamaroneck Will See Widespread Snow Into Monday
- 4 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison
- 5 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48