LARCHMONT, N.Y. Reeling from the death of a beloved village police captain, his wife and two teenage daughters in a house fire in Carmel last week, Larchmont Mayor Anne McAndrews is hoping some changes can be made in building standards and fire codes to prevent another tragedy like the Sullivan family fire .
"This should not have happened," McAndrews said before attending a funeral for the Sullivan family in Carmel over the weekend that drew approximately 1,000 mourners, including 150 from Larchmont, where Sullivan worked for 20 years and was known simply as "Tommy."
"Newer houses, they simply combust faster. They don't give you enough time to get out or for the fire department to respond in time," she said. "This was outrageous for a building to go up that fast. Something is very wrong."
While no official cause has been determined for the early morning May 1 blaze, preliminary reports have indicated it could be electrical. McAndrews believes more stringent standards are needed.
"We're still really in shock and absolutely heartbroken," McAndrews said. "We should use this opportunity to have something good come out of this."
McAndrews noted a memorial service for Sullivan would be held in Larchmont in the near future.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.