MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- A house fire erupted on Oakhurst Avenue in the early morning hours Friday, said Chief Chris Szymanowski of the Village of Mamaroneck Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the scene at 5:50 a.m. and quickly ran into the home, which had smoke pouring out of the front of the house. The fire was contained to the basement, with flames "slightly" reaching the first floor, Szymanowski said.
They put the fire out in about 10 minutes without any injuries. They even saved the family cat, which was left in the house.
The source of the fire was determined to be electrical, according to members of the fire department. The gas and electric have been shut off until the village building department completes its inspection. The village fire inspector Bill Siraco is conducting the investigation.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.