MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- The Multi-Cultural Club at Mamaroneck High School chose "Breaking Barriers Today Like MLK" as the theme for Friday's annual Martin Luther King Jr. assembly in the McLain Auditorium.
Samantha Reid, president of the Multi-Cultural Club, came up with the idea at the end of the last school year with the help of her fellow members and faculty advisor Shannon Turner-Porter.
"We were thinking about Dr. King and how he broke down a lot of barriers through his work," said Turner-Porter, who is the driving force behind the assemblies. "We just tried to break some barriers like him."
Turner-Porter said she organized the first assembly 15 years ago, and now uses the Multi-Cultural Club as its base.
"We take this on as our project," Turner-Porter said. "Then I reach out to other groups in the school."
Over 200 students participated in the assembly this year, including 85 from the school choir. Other groups included the jazz band, tap, step team, ukulele club and others.
Bobby Phillips and Teddy Bellis branched out on their own to perform "I Wish I Knew How It Felt To Be Free" by Nina Simone, which impressed Turner-Porter, who had asked all performers to relate their performance to the theme.
Members of the Mamaroneck Schools Board of Education also attended the assembly, including President Robin Nichinsky.
"It was awe inspiring, there were just so many groups of talented young people," Nichinsky said.
This Monday, students will volunteer for the Mamaroneck High School MLK day of service.
"This year has been tremendously successful with over 150 students signed up to volunteer," said Rory Ellis.
Students will volunteer at one of the following locations:
- Cards for a Cause - Larchmont Temple, 75 Larchmont Ave., 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
- Hope Soup Kitchen Sandwiches - Larchmont Temple, 75 Larchmont Ave, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- CAP Center - 134 Center Ave, Mamaroneck, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Sarah Neuman Nursing Home - 845 Palmer Ave, Mamaroneck, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- United Hebrew Nursing Home - 391 Pelham Rd, New Rochelle, 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Food Drive Stop & Shop, 1326 Boston Post Road, Larchmont, Shifts 10:00 a.m. -10:45 a.m., 10:45 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. -12:15 p.m., 12:15 p.m. -1:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m., 1:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Eco Club - Meet at MHS, time TBD
- Red Cross Club - Meet in the Village of Mamaroneck 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.