This story has been updated.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – The Connecticut National Guard soldiers involved in the fatal car accident on I-95 Thursday morning in Rye were on their way to Fort Dix, N.J., to turn in spent ammunition shells from a recent training exercise, according to the Connecticut National Guard.
The two soldiers were driving in an Army National Guard Light Medium Tactical Vehicle (LMTV), with two other soldiers driving in a GSA van alongside them.
A civilian’s car was involved in the accident on southbound I-95 in Rye.
One soldier in the LMTV was killed, and the second was transported to a local hospital. The soldiers' names have not been released yet.
They had been on the road for less than two hours when the accident occurred, the Connecticut National Guard said.
Both military and civilian officials are investigating the cause of the accident.
For more on the accident, click here.
- 1 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 2 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 3 Apiary Prepared Foods Opens In Larchmont
- 4 Mamaroneck Firefighters Investigate Tompkins Avenue Kitchen Fire
- 5 IRS Warns Mamaroneck Residents Of Phone Scam