This story was updated at 4:15 p.m.
RYE, N.Y. – A service line break closed Route 120 (Purchase Street) in both directions at Purchase Lane for about one hour early Tuesday afternoon.
The New York Department of Transportation (DOT) was working on drainage problems on Route 120 that was contributing to the formation of pot holes when the crew hit the gas main around noon, said Beau Duffy, spokesman for the state DOT.
The gas main that was hit is directly across the street from the dead end Purchase Lane.
The crew called Con Edison, which responded and shut down the line. It was fixed in about one hour the service was restored around 3:30 p.m. The road was re-opened to both lanes of traffic shortly after, Duffy said.
Route 120 had been relegated to one lane while crews worked and construction vehicles were parked on either side of the road. No major traffic went through the two-lane stretch early Tuesday afternoon.
The DOT issued an alert that the road was closed at noon and it was expected to last until at least 8 p.m. Drivers were advised to seek alternate routes.
- 1 60-Year-Old Man Charged In 25 Cat Killings In Yonkers
- 2 Man Found Dead Inside Burning Car In New Rochelle Is ID'd
- 3 Mamaroneck Worker Charged With DWI After Using Front Lawn To Park, Nap
- 4 Mamaroneck Field Hockey Team Wins Class A State Championship
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Parts Of Lower Hudson Valley