MAMARONECK, N.Y. – A case of West Nile virus has been reported on Melbourne Avenue in the Village of Mamaroneck, Mayor Norman Rosenblum said in an an email sent Wednesday night.
It is believed to be at least the second report of West Nile in the village, according to the email.
Rosenblum urges residents to take action to help prevent conditions that are favorable to mosquito infestation.
“Please make sure to eliminate any standing water and other situations that favor mosquito breeding,” he said.
Rosenblum said in the email he believes the Westchester County Board of Health will be following up with an investigation of the Melbourne Avenue address.
Listed below are some tips from the Health Department to help prevent mosquito infestation:
- Remove unneeded tires, cans, buckets, drums, wheelbarrows and bottles from outdoor property.
- Cover trash containers to keep rain out.
- Clean roof gutters and remove standing water from flat roofs.
- Remove standing water from basements.
- Place a couple of capfuls of household bleach in a basement sump-pump pit if it has standing water.
- Keep drains, culverts and streams clean of weeds and trash so that water can drain properly.
- Make sure stored boat covers are completely drained and store small boats upside down.
- Trim shrubs to eliminate hiding places for adult mosquitoes.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor spas and hot tubs. Be sure rainwater does not collect on their covers and disinfect them with bleach to kill mosquito larvae and eggs.
- Fill in hollow tree stumps and rot holes with sand or concrete.
- Drill holes in the bottoms of recycling containers that are kept outdoors.
For more information, and the full list, visit the Village of Mamaroneck website.
- 1 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 2 Two-Car Accident Results In Closure Of Route 127 In Mamaroneck
- 3 60-Year-Old Man Charged In 25 Cat Killings In Yonkers
- 4 Mamaroneck Firefighters Investigate Tompkins Avenue Kitchen Fire
- 5 IRS Warns Mamaroneck Residents Of Phone Scam