LARCHMONT, N.Y. - Eleanor Overmier Smith of Larchmont died Saturday, March 8. She was 96.
Smith was born No. 7, 1917, in Chicago, Ill., to Melvern D. Overmier and Helen Vail Overmier. She received an A.B. degree in fine arts from the University of Kansas in 1940. She was a portrait photographer all of her life. After the family moved to New York, she was employed by Sarony's. In 1947 she married Hayden Williams Smith, and moved to Palo Alto, Calif. They returned to New York in 1955. She was active in the community. She taught photography and was a substitute teacher at the Hommocks Middle School from 1972 until 1990. She was a member of the Larchmont Women's Club for many years and a member of the Larchmont Avenue Church. She had been a resident of Larchmont since 1958.
Smith is survived by her daughter, Jacqueline; son, Laurence (Angela Becerra); four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her brother, Donald Vail Overmier.
A memorial to Smith's life will be held at a later date.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 2 Larchmont, Mamaroneck Will See Widespread Snow Into Monday
- 3 Numerous Accidents Reported On Slippery Westchester Roadways
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Larchmont, Mamaroneck