DANBURY, Conn. - Matthew "Matty" Salamon of Danbury, formerly of Mamaroneck, died April 6. He was 89.
Salamon was born Oct. 31, 1924, and lived most of his life in Mamaroneck, N.Y. He joined the Navy when he was 16 years old. He was a "Tin Can Sailor," serving on three different U.S. destroyers.
After his Navy service he worked in Westchester County as a laborer and upon retirement he became a crossing guard at Murray Avenue School in Larchmont, N.Y., for nearly 10 years. As a boy, he caddied at the Winged Foot Golf Course and was a member of Boy Scout Troop 2 in Mamaroneck. Later, as an adult, served Troop 2 as a committeeman. He was a member of the Mamaroneck United Methodist Church for more than 50 years and later attended the Danbury United Methodist Church.
Salamon is survived by his son, Andy Salamon (Nan) of Killington, Vt.; daughters, Pamela Clark (Edward) of Danbury and Valerie Salamon of Harrison, N.Y.; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife, Bonnie Lou Salamon; and son, Matthew J. Salamon.
A memorial service will be held at the Danbury United Methodist Church at the convenience of the family.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to New Fairfield Senior Center, 33 State Route 37, New Fairfield, CT 06812.
For more information, please visit: http://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/connecticut/danbury/green-funeral-home/fh-14080
- 1 State Police Warn Larchmont, Mamaroneck Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 Funeral Arrangements Announced For Teenage Sisters Murdered In Harrison
- 3 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 4 Hundreds Pay Respects To Slain Sisters During Calling Hours In Mamaroneck
- 5 Head Of Yoga Empire With Westchester Locales Faces Rape Allegation