MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- The 200 residents of 490 Bleeker Avenue displaced after a kitchen fire on Saturday will be able to return to their homes gradually this week, some as soon as Tuesday evening, Village Building Inspector Bill Gerety said.
Residents were barred from re-entering the building after a gas leak was detected in the building during the fire. Con Edison turned the gas off and was unable to locate the leak. According to Gerety, the leak has not been associated with the fire.
"Today the plumber came and is now getting the gas line ready for a test, so we’re trying to get the gas turned on to get heat to the building," he said, "On the electric side, because of the fire there was some water damage to the apartments below which also involved electrical circuitry."
The electrical issues have not started being fixed, but Gerety hopes to get them resolved within the next few days.
"The building has a couple of wings. If we can get the gas up and running and the electrical wire damage isolated by the end of the day (Tuesday), we can reoccupy the West wings," he said.
Sixteen units in the East wings were damaged by water and will take a few more days of repairs before they can be reoccupied.
According to Gerety, the Red Cross was on the scene to relocate displaced residents, but nobody needed assistance and all found alternate housing.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.