MAMARONECK, N.Y. – Mamaroneck Schools Superintendent Robert Shaps recognized 27 teachers receiving tenure at the school board meeting Tuesday night.
The Mamaroneck High School tiered classroom was packed with teachers and family as, one-by-one, Shaps called down those set to receive tenure and gave a summary of their work, teaching style and impact on students.
Sophie Andrews teaches science at Mamaroneck High School and has a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from St. Thomas Aquinas College and a master’s from Columbia University in Curriculum and Teaching.
“Her style of teaching is not only effective but inspires students to pursue science in their future studies,” Shaps said. “While she has a quiet and serious demeanor, Sophie’s true love of teaching science sparkles at the start of every class.
Elyse Gellert teaches music at Mamaroneck High School Music and has a bachelor’s degree from Indiana University Bloomington and master’s from Stony Brook University.
She previously taught music at the Lindenhurst Public School District and, before that, was a discovery counselor at Usdan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts.
“Elyse’s classes are fast moving, but due to the structure she has in place students do not get lost in the lesson but rather are invigorated by her energy,” Shaps said.
A total of seven high school educators were given tenure:
- Sophia Andrews
- Kristen DeRienzo
- Elena Elmoznino
- Elyse Gellert
- Jigar Jadav – Mathematics
- Zachary Moore – Theater, Music
- Alejandro Victoria – Science
Hommocks Middle School
- Kristen Arita -Pschologists
- Kimberly Armogida - Reading
- Nancy Capparelli – Reading
- Tracy Coulson – Special Education
- Zandra Llanos – English
- Kristin Martin – Special Education
- Stacy Peebles – English
- Arnaldo Bencosme – Teaching Assistant
- Tammy Fisch – Elementary Teacher
- Elizabeth Johson – Elementary Teacher
- Lauren Scharfstein – Elementary Teacher
Mamaroneck Avenue School
- Sanda Sanzo – Reading AIS Teacher
Chatsworth Avenue School
- Julia Aiello – Elementary Teacher
- Anthony Forinito – Elementary Teacher
- Michele Vestal – Art
Murray Avenue School:
- Michelle O’Connell – Elementary Teacher
- Frank LoCurto – Psychologist
- Morgan Russell – Music
- 1 Snow Likely In Mamaroneck On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 2 Mamaroneck Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Rye Neck Schools Will Have Early Dismissal Wednesday
- 4 Wake, Funeral Service Scheduled For Port Chester Crash Victim
- 5 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287