MAMARONECK, N.Y. Stephanie Philo was in disbelief when she was one of 11 Mamaroneck students to be named recipients of the 2012 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.
The works of seven students from Hommocks Middle School and four from Mamaroneck High School were recognized by the 89-year-old 501(c)(3) organization, which boosts past winners such as Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath and Truman Capote.
"I didn't even know such inspirational people participated in this," said Philo, who won a Silver Key Award for her short story, "With Trembling Hand." "It definitely feels like a huge honor and I feel really proud of myself."
Awards included the Gold Key, Silver Key and Honorable Mention. Approximately 10 to 15 percent of all regional submissions receive the Silver Key Award, while 15 to 20 percent receive an honorable mention.
Philo, an eighth-grader from Larchmont, looks up to the author of the Harry Potter series J.K. Rowling and aspires to write a book as popular as hers someday.
Like Philo, Julia Lehman, 12, took a writing class at The Voracious Reader last summer. Lehman, who entered her short story "Paris" in the competition, was one of three from the Hommocks to receive honorable mention and six from Mamaroneck schools all together.
Mamaroneck students also took five Silver Key Awards and two Golden Key Awards. Samuel Ladow received two of those Silver Awards and one Honorable Mention alone.
The awards are an important opportunity for students to be recognized for their creative talents and were thrilled to have so many Mamaroneck students as winners this year, said Hommocks teacher Loraine McCurdy-Little.
The following students were recognized from the Hommocks:
- Laura Arike for "Autumn Leaves Revisited" honorable mention
- Grace Axelrad for "We are the Targets" Silver Key
- Julia Lehman for "Paris" honorable mention
- Isabel Paret for "View from my Box," "Under a Dusty Sky," "Goodbye Home," "Walking for a Cause" Gold Key
- Stephanie Philo for "With Trembling Hands" Silver Key
- Emily Shen for "That Box in Your House" honorable mention
- Griffin Williamson for "Eruption" Gold Key
The following students from Mamaroneck High School were recognized:
- Charlotte Hoffman for "The Collapse" honorable mention
- Erica Huang for "The Third Statement" Silver Key
- Samuel Ladow for "Mr. Wall and Humpty Dumpty" Silver Key
- Samuel Ladow for "Aeolus's Winds, A Brother from the Past" Silver Key
- Samuel Ladow for "The Silver Lining" honorable mention
- Jenny Neuman for "If you're reading this, I'm six feet away. Ransom. Lament. Over the fire we burn. Heavy Hearts." honorable mention
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.