MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- The Mamaroneck High School softball team won the league championship for the first time in more than 20 years.
The team beat Mount Vernon 9-4 to clinch first place as league champions, school officials said. It is Mamaroneck softball’s first championship since 1993. Jen Gottfried struck out 15 as the winning pitcher, officials said in a release. At the plate, Gottfried hit a double, scored a run and had two RBI in her Senior Day game, according to the release.
Emma Goldstein scored the first run for the team in the bottom of the 5th inning, when she led off and got on base due to an error. She stole second, took third on a fielder's choice and scored on a passed ball, according to the release.
Kimi Chiapparelli was 1 for 2 with two walks, a single, and two runs scored. Emily Taub was 2 for 2 with two RBI, a run scored and two bases stolen. Adding runs were Chelsea Rose, who got on with a walk in the 6th inning, Mia Steinberg who slapped for a base hit, and Allison Newman who got on in the 6th as well, according to the release.
Members of the league championship team are Jen Gottfried, Chelsea Rose, Mia Steinberg, Kimi Chiapparelli, Jess Faicco, Allison Newman, Emma Goldstein, Patricia Muratore, Emily Taub, Courtlyn Cannon, Teddy Shirley, Mikaela Durben and Amanda Lai.
The 2014 coaches are head coach Allison Bedosky and assistant coach Danielle Deandrea.
- 1 Numerous Accidents Reported On Slippery Westchester Roadways
- 2 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 3 Widow In Harrison Murder-Suicide Will Receive Death Benefit
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 5 Father Hid Computer Hard Drive After Harrison Murder-Suicide, Report Says