MAMARONECK, N.Y. — Mamaroneck High raised its game to another level Friday as Rob Nigro had two touchdowns in the first half and the defense suffocated Carmel for a 27-7 win in a Section 1 Class AA football game.
“It was a big win for us and a hard-fought game against a quality program like Carmel,” Mamaroneck coach Anthony Vitti said. “We were able to jump out to a quick lead thanks to a good first drive and a tremendous job by our defense of taking the ball away. I believe that was the key to the game.”
The Tigers improved to 4-1 and moved closer to a playoff berth. Mamaroneck plays archrival Port Chester in Week 6 before closing out the regular season against Mount Vernon.
Nigro opened the scoring in the first quarter with a 23-yard touchdown run. Later in the quarter, quarterback Danny McCarthy and Mat Marino combined on a 23-yard scoring strike. Nigro added a 47-yard touchdown in the second quarter.
Marquez Jackson-Allen closed out Mamaroneck’s scoring with a 78-yard touchdown scamper in the fourth quarter, hiking the lead to 27-0. Jackson-Allen also had three sacks.
Mamaroneck rushed for 222 yards on 23 carries. Nigro finished with 96 yards rushing and Marino had four catches for 42 yards.
- 1 Snow Likely In Mamaroneck On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 2 Mamaroneck Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Rye Neck Schools Will Have Early Dismissal Wednesday
- 4 Wake, Funeral Service Scheduled For Port Chester Crash Victim
- 5 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287