MAMARONECK, N.Y. – Mamaroneck once again will host a major golf championship when the U.S. Open returns to Winged Foot Golf Club in 2020.
The United States Golf Association announced the news shortly before a press conference in Mamaroneck Monday morning. Members of Winged Foot voted in 2008 to reject hosting the 2015 U.S. Open, which went to Chambers Bay in the Seattle area.
Winged Foot has hosted five U.S. Opens and one PGA Championship. The last Open in Mamaroneck was in 2005, when Phil Mickelson infamously blew a lead on the last hole and lost the tournament to Geoff Ogilvy.
The next major in the New York area is the 2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills in Southampton on Long Island.
- 1 Missing Larchmont Woman, 72, Is Found Safe In Manhattan
- 2 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 3 Mamaroneck Couple Donates $5M To Purchase College
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Larchmont, Mamaroneck
- 5 Former Mamaroneck Schools Superintendent Appointed At White Plains