FRANKLIN LAKES,, N.J. -- DV Home Cooking is devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook : Cheryl Russo, Franklin Lakes, NJ
"Many years ago, my mom underwent knee surgery and was unable to cook dinners for a while. I decided to create some quick, healthy meals that incorporated all the food groups and would still taste great when reheated. This was one of the recipes I came up with."
Recipe: Barley Soup
- 1lb Ground turkey
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- ½ Onion diced
- 3 Carrots, sliced
- 1 Celery stalk sliced
- 9 oz Frozen soup vegetables (or more if you want)
- ½ cup Barley
- 28 oz Can of fire roasted organic crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups Low sodium organic beef broth
- 1 Bay leaf
- Himalayan sea salt for taste
- Brown ground turkey with garlic and onion and seasoning of your choice. I like spicy food so I use pepper, cayenne and I use Mrs. Dash original seasoning in a large pot.
- Drain fat; return browned turkey to pot add carrots, celery, can of tomatoes, and beef broth, bay leaf, bouillon and bring to a boil, reduce temp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add barley and frozen veggies and cook until soft – add more broth if it gets too thick – add more seasoning to taste. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.