MAMARONECK, N.Y. - Frank Armogida smelled gas when he opened the door at Aria International Hair Design Saturday morning, which Con Edison later determined was coming from a commercial oven left on overnight at a nearby business.
Armogida works at the hair salon, which is part of a commercial building on 360 Mount Pleasant Ave. Cook and Bake Central is also part of the building, and was found to be the cause of the strong odor Armogida was greeted by when opening the salon.
"I opened the door this morning and the smell of rotten eggs was really strong," said Armogida, who immediately called Con Edison.
Con Edison arrived 15 minutes later and found readings of gas in the building. To determine the source, they had to call the Village of Mamaroneck Fire Department to gain access to the another store in the building, Chaves - A Portuguese LDA, which was evicted Friday, Armogida said.
Fire Chief Chris Szymanowski, two fire engines and a policeman responded to the scene. The fire department gained entry into the basement and realized there was no gas leak, and that the gas readings were coming from an oven from Cook and Bake Central.
Cook and Bake Central rents to licensed and certified commercial and industrial kitchens.
Aria International Hair Design remained open Saturday.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.